About Citizenship by Descent
You may be eligible to apply to become an Australian citizen by descent if:
- you were born outside Australia and
- one of your parents was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth.
If your Australian citizen parent was a citizen by descent, then that parent must have spent at least two years in Australia.
How to apply
To lodge a citizenship by descent application, please prepare documents per this checklist.
See: Application checklist
- Photocopies and translation
- All documents included in the application must be original or certified copies.
- Certifying copies can only be done by an Australian citizen or a citizen of your country of residence who belongs to one of the professions listed in Form 118. – “This is a true copy of the original document” and name and signature of the person certifying the copy must be provided.
- All documents not in English must be accompanied with English translations. Please see http://www.naati.com.au for a list of accredited translators, or use a professional translator. The translation must be either on company letterhead or must have the translator's official company stamp/seal and must include their contact details.
- Returning original documents
- All original documents provided as part of your application will be returned to you by courier service or post.
You can choose one of the following:
- Create an online ImmiAccount if you do not have one already
- Start your online application
See: Citizenship online applications
NOTE: It is strongly recommend that you attach your supporting documents to your online citizenship application at time of application.
If you need to provide subsequent supporting documents after the lodgement of your online application, you can attach them to your online citizenship application directly via ImmiAccount. Please ensure that the size of each file does not exceed 5MB and we recommend clients to attach files in PDF format.
See: Attach documents to an online application
If you are residing in Japan you must submit your application to the Visa Section at the Australian Embassy in Tokyo by post or courier.
See: Lodging Applications
- Processing service standards
Information on the average processing time service standard for citizenship by descent application processed in Seoul can be found at Application Processing Time Service Standards. Please note that the service standards are indicative only. Processing time on individual cases may vary depending on individual circumstances and the complexity of each case.
- Decision and an extract certificate
If citizenship by descent is acquired, a decision letter and an extract certificate will be sent to you by courier service at your own cost.