Australian Embassy

COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate for Travel to Australia

Vaccination certificates for travel – FAQs



Is the Japanese COVID-19 vaccination certificate issued by my local city/municipal office acceptable to travel to Australia?

You do not need to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination to travel to and from Australia.

To obtain a Japanese COVID-19 vaccination certificate for other purposes, you must contact your local Japanese municipal office where you received your vaccination. If you have any enquiries regarding this certificate, you must enquire directly with your municipal office.



The name on my vaccination record does not match my Australian passport, will it still be accepted?

You do not need to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination to travel to and from Australia.

If you have a vaccination certificate in a name that’s different to what is in your passport, and are travelling to a country other than Australia, check with that country's border authorities about whether it will be accepted and what else may be required. 



Which vaccinations have been approved by Australia's Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)?

Information on the latest approved and recognised vaccines is available on the TGA website: COVID-19 vaccines | Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

The TGA is continuing to evaluate other COVID−19 vaccines that may be recognised for the purposes of travel to Australia in future.



How do I get the Australian internationally recognised proof of vaccination document?

Australia's International COVID−19 Vaccination Certificate (ICVC) was made available to the public on 19 October 2021.

Your COVID-19 vaccinations will need to be registered on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) after you return to Australia, before you can apply for the ICVC.

Further information can be found here: International COVID-19 vaccination certificates | Smartraveller



I was vaccinated overseas and still haven't returned to Australia, can I still register my vaccination on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR)?

If you’ve received an approved vaccination overseas, a recognised vaccination provider in Australia can add them to the AIR when you return to Australia. To find out how, go to the Services Australia website.

For more information on COVID-19 vaccinations received overseas, see the Smartraveller website: COVID-19 vaccinations | Smartraveller



How does my vaccination status impact my travel to Australia? Do I still need to do testing or quarantine after arriving in Australia?

You can travel to Australia without needing to provide proof of vaccination. If you are a visa holder who is not vaccinated, you no longer need an individual travel exemption to enter Australia.

Testing, quarantine and domestic transfer restrictions may differ by state and territory. To check if you will be subject to testing on arrival visit the local state or territory's website: State and Territory Information

The Department of Home Affairs manages policies on travel in and out of Australia, visit their website for more information, including about travel for children: Information on international travel.



Do I still need to do a pre-departure COVID-19 test before travelling to Australia if I am fully vaccinated?

You do not need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test to meet Australian inbound travel requirements. Some countries, airlines and vessel operators may require a pre-departure test result at check-in before you can board your flight or ship. Check the entry requirements of the country you are travelling or transiting through, and your airline or vessel operator’s requirements. 

Visit the SmartTraveller website for more information.

The Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) provides an English list of medical facilities which conduct COVID-19 testing, and the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) provides a list in Japanese, sorted according to prefecture.

Pre-departure testing at airports:
Narita International Airport Clinic (PCR and RAT available, please enquire with the clinic for RAT reservations)
Haneda Airport Terminal 3 Clinic (PCR only)



What else do I need to do before travelling to Australia?

From 12.01am AEST 6 July 2022, you’ll no longer need to fill out a Digital Passenger Declaration when entering Australia.

You should confirm whether the state or territory at which you will arrive in Australia has any other declarations or requirements for entry. Please see here for information on the requirements for each state or territory: State and Territory Information

We also strongly recommend that you confirm with your airline prior to your flight regarding whether the airline has any additional requirements for their passengers.



I have other questions regarding travelling to Australia (visa for spouses and travel restrictions etc.), who should I ask?

The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for advising the requirements for Australian citizens or foreign nationals to enter into Australia.

They manage immigration, citizenship, visa and travel restrictions.

Department of Home Affairs Global Service Centre (GSC) Telephone Enquiries : +61 2 6196 0196 (Japanese language support services available)

Written Enquiries: Australian Immigration Enquiry Form

Once the form is submitted, a Department of Home Affairs representative will respond to your enquiry.

Please see this page on the Department of Home Affairs website for information regarding travelling to Australia.



Return to the top