Australian Embassy

Obtaining a police clearance certificate

Depending on your application type and your personal circumstances, you may be required to provide a police clearance certificate with your application.

If you are required to provide a police clearance certificate, you must obtain the certificates from all the countries you have lived for 12 months or more cumulatively during the last 10 years.


Instructions on obtaining a Certificate of Criminal Record (Toko Shomei) for Japan can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.
See: Japan

Current and former residents of Japan need to apply for their Certificate of Criminal Record through the prefectural or metropolitan police department where they are or were registered as a resident in Japan.

For example, those who have lived in Tokyo can find information on the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department’s website and those who lived in Osaka can find information on the Osaka Prefectural Police Department’s website

Other Countries (including Australia) and Additional Information

Information on obtaining a police clearance certificate for Australia and other countries, how character is assessed and information for military and ship crews can be found in the department’s website.
See: Character and police certificate requirements

What do I do with the certificate?

Once you have received the certificate, you need to submit it to the office processing your application.