Australian Embassy

Student Visa

1. About this visa

2. What can I do with this visa?

3. How do I apply for this visa

About this visa

A Student visa (subclass 500) is for clients who intend to study with an education institution in Australia, especially for more than 3 months.

To lodge a valid application, the applicant must:

  • complete form 157A (only online)
  • pay the visa application charge (VAC)
  • provide evidence of enrolment
    • a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study; or
    • an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form; or
    • a letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence, containing details of the intended course of study
  • evidence of welfare arrangement for all students under 18 years of age
  • dependent family members (children and partner), except for children born after an application is made, can only be included at time of lodgement

    Key requirements for the grant of a Student visa (subclass 500) are:

  • Satisfying the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement
  • Enrolment in a registered course of study
  • Financial capacity and English language proficiency
  • Health and character
  • Health insurance
  • Age requirements for school students

Your passport country and education provider will determine the immigration risk and also your evidentiary requirements. Applicants will be able to get details about the documentation and evidence requirements online from the Department of Home Affairs website.
See: Student visa (subclass 500)

Note: Visa period for Primary school students


What can I do with this visa

If granted, 

  • you can study in Australia
  • your dependant family members may accompany you to Australia under limited circumstances
  • you and your family will be allowed limited or unlimited work rights depending on your course type and unlimited work rights during scheduled course breaks
  • your partner (if eligible to accompany you to Australia) can study in Australia for up to three months

Further information on what you can do with this visa can be found at the department’s website.
See: Student visa (subclass 500)


How do I apply for this visa



Last updated: 13/08/2018

Back to top