Australian Embassy

Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

1. About this visa

2. What I can do with this visa?

3. How to apply for this visa?

 About this visa

A Student Guardian visa (subclass 590) is for clients who intend to stay in Australia as the guardian of a student and is a parent or close relative (over 21 years of age) of an applicant or a current Student visa holder who is under 18 years of age.

Applicants will be able to get details about the documentation and evidence requirements online from the Department of Home Affairs website.
* See: Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)


What can I do with this visa?

If granted: 

  • You cannot work
  • You can live in Australia for the same length of time as the student for whom you are guardian or until the student turns 18 years of age, whichever happens first
  • You can care for more than one student
  • You can study in Australia for up to 20 hours per week in an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).
  • Study in a course other than ELICOS in Australia for up to three months.

Can my partner join me in Australia?

  • Generally, there can only be one Student Guardian per student. They may be eligible for other visas to visit you in Australia. See Visa Finder

Bringing children

You can only bring children under six years old if either:

  • There are compelling and compassionate reasons
  • Granting the visa would significantly benefit the relationship between the Australian Government and the government of another country.  If this is the case, you must be at least 21 and the student must be supported in writing by a parent or person who has custody

The child must meet the same health requirements as you and have health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.

Children six years old or older can come with you but they must apply for their own student visa.

Further information on what you can do with this visa can be found at the department’s website.
* See: Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)


How do I apply for this visa?