Australian Embassy

Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601)


About this visa

An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is an electronic approval for passengers to travel to Australia for tourism or business activities for a stay period of up to 3 months.

Business activities include:

  • making general business or employment enquiries
  • investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
  • carrying out activities as part of an official government-to-government visit
  • participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation.

General information about travelling to Australia with an ETA:

  • You can travel to Australia with a passport that has less than 6 months validity
  • You can apply for an ETA even with a diplomatic or official passport
  • If you are issued with a new passport after being granted an ETA, you need a new ETA
  • You are able to travel to Australia with an ETA even if you have a one-way airline ticket.

If you want to stay in Australia for more than 3 months on holiday, you can apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) in Australia.

European passport holders also have the option of applying online for an eVisitor (subclass 651), rather than an ETA.
See: eVisitor (subclass 651)

If you intend to undertake short term and non-ongoing work in Australia you must apply for a Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist)(subclass 400) visa.
See: Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400)

If passengers are assessed, on arrival, to have other intentions (for example, to work) could have their ETA cancelled and be refused entry to Australia.

ETA validity

  • You can enter Australia within 12 months from the date of ETA grant or until the passport expiry date if the passport validity is less than 12 months
  • You can stay in Australia for a maximum period of 3 months from the date of each arrival in Australia.
  • You are able to make multiple entries within the validity of an ETA.


Who can apply

You can apply for an ETA if you are a holder of an ETA eligible passport. You can check a list of ETA eligible passports under the menu ‘Who can apply’ at the Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) website. If you do not hold an eligible passport you must apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600).
See: Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)
See: Arrangements for Taiwanese passport holders
See: Visitor visa (subclass 600)


How to apply

You can choose one of the following:

  • Applying with airlines or travel agents
    You may apply for an ETA through your airline or travel agent at the time you book your ticket to Australia. Please check with your airline or travel agent if they provide such service.
  • Online application
    If you are a holder of an eligible passport, you can apply for an ETA online for a service charge of AUD 20. You can check whether you are an eligible passport holder at the Australian Electronic Travel Authority website:
    See: Australian Electronic Travel Authority

Note: If you apply for an ETA with incorrect information, such as incorrect name, date of birth, gender or passport number, you will need to lodge a new ETA application online or with your airline/travel agent with correct details. If you are lodging online, you will need to pay for the service charge again.


After you have applied

In most cases, a decision on your ETA will be made within 12 hours. If your ETA is approved, you can check the status of your grant online if you have applied through the online service or through your travel agent or airline. If your ETA is not approved within 12 hours or you are requested to refer your application to an Australian Embassy, please contact the Visa Section in Tokyo by email with a copy of your passport and completed Form 1494 - ETA additional information form.
See: Help when applying for an ETA (FAQ)
See: Visa Section Contact Details