Australian Embassy

Consular services


When visiting the Embassy in Tokyo or Consulate-General in Osaka for consular, passport or notarial services you must have an appointment and wear a mask. Please arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to your appointment in Tokyo and 5 minutes prior to your appointment in Osaka. We ask that you avoid bringing anyone to your appointment who is not required to attend. Please do not attend an appointment if you are feeling unwell or have been in contact with someone who has been unwell. If you need to reschedule your appointment,  this can be done online or contact us to reschedule it.

In this section:

Information about the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Updated February 2021

Due to the spread of COVID-19, the Australian Government has announced that all international travellers arriving in Australia, regardless of nationality or point of departure, must complete self-isolation for 14 days in designated facilities before they can go home. 

If you’re travelling to Australia on or after 22 January 2021, you must provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 (PCR) test to your airline when checking in for your flight at the departure point. You must be tested 72 hours or less prior to departure. Please check the Smartraveller website for more detailed information. 

METI (The Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry) provides a list of medical institutions in English which conduct COVID-19 testing in Japan. MHLW (The Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare) also provides lists of medical institutions in Japanese, sorted according to prefectures in Japan.

Before you travel to Australia, you should complete the Australia Travel Declaration.

In addition, the Australian Government is currently not allowing the entry into Australia of people who are not citizens, permanent residents or their families. All Australians - citizens, permanent residents and immediate family - will still be able to return to Australia. If you are an immediate family member of an Australian citizen, please check the Department of Home Affairs website for details about how to apply for an exemption. 

If you are in Japan and concerned you may have COVID-19, you can call the Japanese Government’s free, 24-hour hotline to get details of the closest clinics and hospitals in English. The hotline number is 050-3816-2787. You can also call: AMDA (Association of Medical Doctors of Asia) Medical Information Center for advice in English on 03-6233-9266 (Monday - Friday: 10.00 – 16.00) or if in Tokyo, the  Tokyo Coronavirus Support Center for Foreign Residents (TOCOS) on 0120-296-004 (1000 – 1700 weekdays).

You can stay up to date with the Australian Government’s official travel advice on Japan through Smartraveller by subscribing. You’ll then receive an email update if the travel advice to Japan changes (Smartraveller subscription service).

Follow us on the Australian Embassy in Tokyo Facebook and Twitter for any announcements and information relevant to Australians travelling in Japan.

If you are traveling in Japan and need to seek consular assistance, please contact the Australian mission nearest to you.

-Australian Embassy Tokyo

-Australian Consulate-General Osaka

You can also self-register on the Traveller Registration System if you’re currently overseas and have been trying to return home, but haven’t been able to.

The 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra can also be contacted for assistance from anywhere in Japan on 03-5232-4111 or +81-3-5232-4111 (1300 555 135 within Australia).

Smartraveller: The Department of Foreign Affairs’ official travel advice

Smartraveller has the latest, authoritative travel advice so you can be informed and prepared to travel in Japan. Subscribe to receive travel advice updates - by simply supplying your name and email address – straight to your inbox.

You can now also subscribe to the new SMS service - by supplying your mobile number – to receive critical alerts in the event of a crisis overseas.

In a crisis, Smartraveller will activate a crisis page on its website. It will make it easier for you or someone you know to contact the Australian Government if you need help. It will supplement the consular emergency hotline.

Visit to subscribe or connect with Smartraveller on Facebook and Twitter.

Getting Assistance

The Consular Services Charter sets the standards of service you can expect from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade when seeking consular assistance.

Consular services to Australian citizens living and travelling throughout Japan are provided by the Embassy in Tokyo and by the Consulates-General in Osaka. If you require consular assistance, you should contact the Australian mission nearest to you.

The 24 hour Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra can also be contacted for assistance from anywhere in Japan on 03-5232-4111 (1300 555 135 within Australia).

Travel Insurance companies often have 24-hour assistance centres that you can contact from anywhere in the world. If you get sick overseas or are involved in a medical emergency, you should contact your travel insurance provider as soon as possible.

Australians in need of counselling services overseas can contact our Consular Emergency Centre on 03-5232-4111 to be transferred to a Lifeline telephone counsellor.

If an Australian is arrested in Japan, they have the right to contact the Australian Government, but consular assistance cannot override local law, even when Japanese laws may appear harsh by Australian standards. Refer to our Arrests in Japan page for further information.

For information about collecting your personal information please read the Consular Privacy Collection Statement.

Emergency Services in Japan

If you require Emergency Services, you should contact local authorities directly.

Police 110
Fire 119
Ambulance 119
Tokyo English-Speaking Police
Monday – Friday 8:30 – 17:15
Tokyo Fire Department
Telephone information service

The Tokyo Metropolitan Health and Medical Information Centre


This organisation can provide information about the Japanese health system as well as locating an appropriate clinic or hospital in Tokyo to meet foreign resident's needs. Emergency translation services can also be provided through Himawari.



Disaster Preparedness

Japan is prone to natural disasters, particularly earthquakes, tsunamis, and typhoons. Therefore, it is important you take appropriate steps now to help minimise damage to property, and keep you and your family safe. Disaster preparedness is a part of life in Japan.

When disasters do happen, we endeavour to assist Australians but this does not diminish the obligation of citizens to be prepared. The Embassy and Consulates are not evacuation centres.

Take the following steps now to ensure you are ready when disaster strikes.

  1. Subscribe
  2. Prepare
    • Have an emergency kit on hand
    • Know your local area and the location of any evacuation centre
    • Be alert to early warnings and know where to get more information
    • Make sure your home is prepared for hazards and emergencies
    • Keep a list of emergency numbers handy
  3. Plan
    • Discuss a family response plan to activate if disaster strikes
    •  Know how you will contact family members in Japan and in Australia with updates about your welfare and whereabouts
    • Find out about existing plans. Schools, large buildings and local authorities should have plans in place for emergency evacuations.

Additional resources: