Australian Embassy

Visa and Citizenship

Thank you for visiting the Visa and Citizenship page.

Australia requires all foreign travellers to hold a visa to enter the country. There are a variety of visas available for travellers to Australia. The type of visa you apply for depends on your length of stay, your passport and the purpose of your travel.

Japanese passport holders are eligible to apply for the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), which is available online. The ETA is for a person visiting Australia for a holiday or to undertake some business activities in the country.

Strict travel restrictions are in place for certain countries due to Novel Coronavirus.  You should not apply for any visa or ETA until checking the latest information.

For more information on visa options and how to apply, please see below or visit the Department of Home Affairs website. 

As our visa and citizenship services are available online, the Australian Embassy, Tokyo and Consulates-General in Japan do not accept visa and citizenship applications by mail or in-person. 

If you require assistance with your visa, you may wish to contact a travel agent, airline or registered migration agent for such services. 

For all other enquiries, please refer to the information below.  Where your query cannot be addressed by the information available on our website, you can Contact Us.