Australian Embassy

Taxation and pension


We are not qualified to advise you on taxation matters. Contact your accountant or the relevant authorities for advice.
Australia and Japan have an International Tax Agreement. Ensuring you have appropriate taxation arrangements in place is your responsibility.

Tax in Japan

In Japan, the National Tax Agency administers income tax collection. In addition to English language publications for foreign residents, your Regional Taxation Bureau can also provide you with information over the phone.

External links: 


Tax in Australia

Please contact the Australian Taxation Office direct with your queries relating to Australian taxation issues, including how to lodge your tax return from Japan (tax pack).

External links:


If you require assistance or would like to make an enquiry about pensions or entitlements please contact Centrelink in Australia or the Japanese Pension Service directly, as we will be unable to assist you.

External links to Australian services 

External links to Japanese services