Australian Embassy

Passport topics


In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation in Japan, temporary passport arrangements have been implemented to allow for Australian citizens in Japan to apply via mail for a Limited Validity Passport. For more information click here.


In this section:

For information on topics not featured on this page, please refer to our Passport FAQ or visit the Australian Passport Office website.


To help us identify the person applying for an Australian passport, we need someone (a "guarantor") to complete the guarantor declaration in the application form.

The guarantor must:

  • be 18 years of age or over
  • have known the applicant for at least 12 months or since birth
  • not be related to the applicant by birth, marriage, de facto or same sex relationship, nor live at the applicant's address
  • possess a current (unexpired) Australian passport that was issued with at least two years' validity; OR be currently employed in one of the approved employment groups below
  • agree to be contacted by an Australian Passport Office representative to confirm the applicant’s identity
  • endorse the back of one photograph in English by writing "This is a true photograph of (applicant's full name)" and sign in black ink

Approved Employment groups

  • Accountants (Registered)
  • Bank Managers
  • Barristers, Solicitors and Patent Attorneys
  • Chartered Professional Engineers (Government Registered)
  • Clerks of Courts
  • Members currently serving in the regular Defence Forces with at least five years continuous service
  • Dentists
  • Police Officers with at least five years continuous service
  • Elected representatives of Parliaments
  • Judges
  • University professors of more than five years service
  • Members of the Chartered Institute of Company Secretaries
  • Marriage Celebrants
  • Pharmacists
  • Registered Medical Practitioners
  • Postal Managers
  • Teachers - full time early childhood / primary / high school teachers of more than five years service who hold university teaching qualifications and are registered to a Board of Education
  • Stipendiary Magistrates
  • Public Servants with at least five years continuous service
  • Registered Veterinary Surgeons
  • Registered Nurses

Please ensure that the guarantor signs the declaration and the back of the photograph using the same signature. Should the guarantor sign the declaration in Kanji then the signature on the back of the photograph should also be in Kanji.

The guarantor does not need to be living in Japan. For example, someone living in Australia that meets the above requirements would be acceptable.

Passport officers may contact your guarantor by telephone. As the applicant, you should ensure that your guarantor is aware of this and has provided appropriate daytime telephone contact details (preferably a mobile phone number). Any difficulties in contacting your guarantor will cause delays in issuing your passport.

We understand finding an appropriate guarantor can be difficult. However, it is an important part of maintaining a secure passport service and there are no exceptions. We ask that you factor this into account to ensure you get your passport in good time.

A guarantor is not required for applicants using the ‘Australian Passport Renewal Application’ form.

Passport fees

Please refer to the Passport Fees page.



You must provide two recent identical colour photographs of yourself with your completed passport application. Unacceptable photographs will delay processing.

Please ensure that your photographs:

  • comply with these strict guidelines
  • were not printed photo booth nor using a home printer (unless they meet minimum printing requirements outlined in our Camera Operator Guidelines
  • were taken in the last six months
  • were not taken in a photograph booth as this produces unnatural lightning
  • are taken with a plain white or light grey background. Photographs with a blue background will not be accepted by the Passport Office

Please take care of your photographs; attaching them to the application form with glue, paperclips, staples or bulldog clips can mark or damage the photo making them unusable.

Our Camera Operator Guidelines in Japanese may assist you when explaining photograph requirements to camera/photo shop staff in Japan.

Translation of documents

If you are required to present foreign documentation that is not written in English, you must provide an English translation made by an approved translation service. English translations must be an exact copy.

Approved translation services

If you are obtaining the translation in Australia – please contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) for a list of approved translators in your area. Visit the NAATI website to locate a translator.

If you are obtaining the translation in Japan – the translation must be performed by a professional translation company or translator. The translation must be on their company letterhead or have their official company stamp, seal or certificate, and include their contact details. The person who translates the document must be a third party not related to the applicant in any way, nor living at the same address.

General Declaration (B11)

Where an applicant's circumstances require further explanation, passport interviewing officers may advice the applicant or parent (or person with parental responsibility) to complete a general declaration known as a Form B-11 General Declaration by Passport Applicant.

If you are required to submit a general declaration, please print off the following Form B-11 and complete in your own handwriting, using your own words.

Download Form B11 General Declaration by Passport Application. 

Sample General Declarations

To assist you in this please find below sample general declarations with suggested wording. These are for use as guides only.



Change in applicant's signature

If your signature has changed since your last passport application, please complete a Form B-11 with specimens of both signatures and an explanation for the change.


Change in parent's signature

If a parent's signature has changed since the child's last passport application, please complete a Form B-11 with specimens of both signatures and an explanation of the change.


Child's name different on supporting documents

If the child was born in Japan, obtained Australian citizenship prior to March 2009 and the certificate shows a different name to the name on their Japanese birth document due to either:

  • romaji spelling of names; or
  • Japanese Authorities not allowing a middle name or Australian parent's surname,

Please complete a Form B-11 to explain the difference.



Back to top